Thursday, November 5, 2009

Tangy Pork Chops & Candied Squash


If you haven't cooked pork chops for your family lately I suggest bringing it back on the menu. I always seem to forget how good and easy they are. I like to use bone-in chops because I think they deliver a more tender meat, but feel free to use boneless if you like. My vegetable for tonight is perfect for every fall meal: Buttercup Squash. I've only had squash prepared one way (the way my mom makes it) and that is baked and then mashed like potatoes. I love them like this but every time I make them my husband claims he is "not a squash kind of guy." This is his polite way of saying that he doesn't like something I make. Tonight I was bound and determined to get him to change his mind. I tried oven roasting the squash with brown sugar to make it taste more like candied carrots and less like squash...it was a success - he liked it!! The sweet apple cider in the pork chops made a delicious gravy that was actually great with the squash. All in all this meal was delicious and satisfying - a great spin on an old classic.
Denise's Quick Tangy Pork Chops
4 Pork Chops
1/2 C. Flour
1 pkg Onion Soup Mix
1/2 C. Dry white wine
1/2 C. Apple cider
Season flour in a shallow dish with salt and pepper. Dredge meat in flour mixture and brown in olive oil in a heated frying pan at med-high heat. Brown each side about 3 minutes. Transfer meat into a casserole dish and sprinkle dry onion soup mix over the meat. Pour wine and cider over the dish. Bake covered at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
Oven Roasted Squash
Buttercup squash - peeled and cut into 2" cubes
Olive Oil
Salt, Pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg
3-4 Tbls. Brown sugar
Line baking sheet with parchment paper (for easy cleanup). Place squash on baking sheet and drizzle olive oil to coat. Season with remaining ingredients. Bake at 375 for approx. 35 minutes, stirring a couple of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment