Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cranberry Sauce


With Thanksgiving around the corner I am hurrying to perfect my side dishes since this is the first time I'll be hosting my family for the holiday. Last year I decided to forgo my usual canned cranberry sauce, and I tried making my own - we loved it!! It is tart and refreshing and packed with antioxidants - it is also much prettier on your table than the gelatin molds you get from a can! It really should be enjoyed more than on just Thanksgiving day. Try serving it warm over pancakes with maple syrup; baked on brie and then spread on crackers or a crusty bread; or try topping your vanilla ice cream for a sweet treat. (The best part is, this is a side dish you can make this ahead of time since it keeps really well in the fridge.)
Cranberry Sauce
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. water
4 c. fresh cranberries
zest of an orange
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
In a sauce pan bring to boil water and sugar, stirring to dissolve. Add cranberries and return to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer approx. 10 minutes or until cranberries burst. Stir in orange peel, cinnamon & nutmeg. Remove from heat. Cool at room temperature and then store in refrigerator. (Sauce will thicken as it cools.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try this one out on our Thanksgiving menu this year - looks great!

    ReplyDelete