Monday, April 12, 2010

White Chicken Chili

Today I am thinking of my amazing grandma Juliette. She raised 16 children, farmed along side my grandpa, grew a fabulous garden, canned everything possible, prepared everything from scratch and did it all with such grace that she touched everyone who knew her. I am always connected to her when I am in the kitchen. She taught my mom (who taught me) that after practice, you can set food in the oven without a timer and somehow you will know when it is done; how bread dough is ready when it "feels" right; and how a little of "this" and a little of "that" that can transform basic ingredients into a wonderful meal.  She taught me to trust myself in the kitchen. Today I made white chicken chili for the first time - I didn't have a recipe and I didn't need one. "No one who cooks, cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers." - Laurie Colwin
White Chicken Chili
2 c. chicken breast
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
2 cans chicken broth
4 oz can green chilies
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
salt/pepper
1 can white northern beans
1-2 Tbs. flour
4 Tbs. milk
3/4 c. heavy cream
Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium soup pot and cook chicken over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add onion and garlic and cook an additional 3-5 minutes. Add chicken broth, chilies, nutmeg, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes. In a liquid measuring cup, whisk flour and milk until well blended. Slowly pour milk mixture into simmering soup and stir (soup will thicken). Add beans and heavy cream. Season to taste.
We topped with crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheese.
Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment