Sunday, April 25, 2010

Carnitas with Homemade Tortillas

After watching Diners, Drive-Ins & Drives I wanted to give homemade tortillas a try. I had also never made carnitas but they always look so good on the show. I made mine in the crock pot since it is the easiest way to cook a roast. The meat came out fork tender and was packed full of flavor. My brother-in-law Eric and I had fun making the tortillas. I rolled them out paper thin and Eric cooked them in the cast iron pan. Together we were able to make a dozen tortillas in about 20 minutes which wasn't too bad for our first try. We sat back and enjoyed our delicious carnitas in our warm tortillas.
Crockpot Carnitas
3-4 lb. pork roast (shoulder or rump roast)
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried cilantro
1 tsp. cumin
3 tsp. brown sugar
1/4 c. water
4 oz. green chilies
Trim excess fat off or roast and set aside. Pour water and green chilies into a medium crock pot. In a shallow bowl combine all seasoning and place roast in the rub. Pat all seasoning into the roast and then set into crock pot above green chilies. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Remove roast and shred. Return a small amount of liquid to the roast to keep it moist. Serve warm on tortillas.
Printable Recipe
Homemade Tortillas
Since I had never made these before I followed this recipe exactly on allrecipes.com. Click this link for recipe: Tortilla Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment