Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I love the lettuce wraps at P.F.Chang's and after several failed attempts to eat there in the past couple of weeks I decided to make my own version at home. I am so glad I did! Lettuce cups are the perfect house for the slightly sweet, garlic, ginger chicken. The chicken filling is packed full of great flavors. About a year ago, I had never purchased real ginger root from the grocery store. Now I try to think of more meals that I can make with ginger. These chicken lettuce wraps could be a great appetizer, but they also make a light and delicious mid-week dinner.
Note: I added stir fry rice noodles to this dish but we didn't love the texture in the lettuce wrap so I am leaving them out of the recipe below.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
2 chicken breasts, chopped
1 Tbs. olive oil
salt/pepper
1 bunch green onions, sliced
2 Tbs. fresh ginger, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 c. mushrooms, chopped
8 oz can water chestnuts, chopped
4 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. sweet and sour sauce
2 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
1 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbs. ketchup
1 Tbs. dijon mustard
Crisp lettuce
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet, add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add onions, ginger, garlic, mushrooms and water chestnuts and saute for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat. In a separate bowl, whisk together: soy sauce, sweet and sour sauce, rice wine vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, ketchup and mustard. Pour sauce in pan with the sauted vegetables and add chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes and then scoop into large pieces of lettuce.
Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment