Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sweet Potato Pancakes

Like many days, I sat during my lunch break today wondering what to make for dinner tonight. I was torn.  I really felt like breakfast-for-dinner (a meal that seems like a treat when you make it about once a month). On the other hand, I had these sweet potatoes sitting in my pantry and I knew they weren't getting any younger. Then it dawned on me, "could it be...could my breakfast-for-dinner and my pretty sweet potatoes co-exist in one harmonious meal?" A quick google search later and I had sweet potato pancakes (courtesy of Joseph's on FoodNetwork.com). I added pecans to the batter because I love a pancake with a little crunch. These were slightly sweet and simply beautiful. The cinnamon and nutmeg add a warmth that tastes a lot like autumn. Try these pancakes for dinner or a weekend brunch!

Sweet Potato Pancakes
2 c. flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 c. milk
2 eggs
4 tsp. melted butter
1 sweet potato, cooked until tender, peeled and pureed (about 1 cup)
1/2 c. chopped pecans (for topping)
In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl blend the liquid ingredients, including the sweet potato. Pour liquid ingredients over dry and mix until just combined. (Batter will be slightly lumpy.) Heat electric skillet to 350 F. Butter skillet and using a 1/2 c. measuring cup, ladle pancakes unto skillet. Sprinkle each pancake with pecans. Wait for pancake to form bubbles on the surface and flip. Cook until golden brown.
Adapted from FoodNetwork.com
Printable Recipe

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great recipes - this one and the ice cream caramel. Any advice on how to make these pancakes a little more moist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitch - Two tips for moist pancakes: Don't overmix the batter and try substituting buttermilk for your milk (you will have to decrease the baking powder to 2 tsp. if you do this). Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete