Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Good Spaghetti Sauce



It is easy to make delicious spaghetti sauce in the summer when ripe tomatoes are plentiful. But in the winter, I make a semi-homemade sauce that uses 2 cups of already prepared marinara sauce and then I soup-it-up with a bunch of extras that make it taste homemade and authentic. This sauce is robust and hearty. I like to use ground beef in my spaghetti with just a little Italian sausage. I buy Italian sausage links in bulk and then separate them into small bags and freeze them. That way I can add sweet Italian sausage in small amounts to my lasagna, pizza, pasta, etc.
Good Spaghetti Sauce
1 lb. ground beef
2 Italian sausage links, casings removed (about 1/4 lb.)
1/4 c. olive oil
1 sm. onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced (about 1/4 cup)
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
salt/pepper
1/4 tsp. savory
1/2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. parsley
15 oz. tomato sauce
1/4 c. red wine
2 c. marinara sauce

In a large skillet, brown ground beef and Italian sausage. Drain excess fat and set aside. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, pepper and garlic and saute for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients to the pot and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Add ground beef and sausage and simmer 15 minutes more. Serve over cooked spaghetti noodles.
Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment