Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Creamy Baked Chicken


Creamy baked chicken in a one-pot-wonder that can easily be put together for a week night meal in a hurry. It could also be assembled a day in advance and then baked the next day if you are really short on time. This is a classic "pantry meal" for us. I always have the ingredients for this on hand so when I do not have time for the grocery store, I have all of the components to a hot meal in my pantry (and freezer). This chicken is moist, the gravy is tasty, and the stuffing adds a crunchy topping that is unexpected (and my favorite part). I have also topped the chicken with crushed croutons when I don't have stuffing on hand. I always serve this chicken on a bed of mashed potatoes since it bakes in a rich gravy.  Creamy baked chicken is not only simple to prepare on a Wednesday night, it is a downright delicious pick-me-up in the middle of the week.
Creamy Baked Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 slices swiss cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 c. dry white wine
1 1/2 c. coarsely crushed seasoned stuffing mix (i.e. Stove Top)
1/4 c. melted butter
Arrange chicken in a shallow baking dish. (I use a 9x9 glass pan.) Place a slice of swiss cheese on each piece of chicken. Stir the soup and wine together in a small bowl and pour over chicken. Sprinkle stuffing mix over the chicken. Evenly drizzle with melted butter. Bake uncovered at 350 F for one hour. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Printable Recipe