Monday, January 25, 2010

Chocolaty Goodness Cookies

Any time I have a dentist or doctor appointment, I spend my time in the waiting room immersed in the variety of food magazines lying around. I always bring a pen and paper because I never know when a recipe may catch my eye. These cookies are the result of this process. I couldn't tell you what food magazine they came from, but I do know that they are a Paula Deen recipe. These cookies are soft and chewy. The cream cheese helps keep them tasting fresh even a few days after baking - if, that is, they last that long in your household. You will be surprised at how rich they are for only having a few ingredients in them. Although Paula calls them "chocolate gooey butter cookies" we renamed them "chocolaty goodness" in our house because it was the first thing that came out of my mouth when I took my first bite.
Chocolaty Goodness Cookies
Paula Deen's Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies - slightly altered
1 box dark chocolate cake mix (dry)

1 large egg
1/2 c. butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened

1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. sugar
In large bowl, beat cake mix, egg, butter, cream cheese and vanilla until well mixed. Dough will be stiff. Roll dough into balls and coat in sugar. Place chocolate balls on a sheet pan and slightly press dough down with your fingers. Bake at 350 F for 8-10 minutes. Cookies will seem very soft but will set after cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment