Thursday, January 31, 2013

Asian Chicken Noodle Soup

A rotisserie chicken was the inspiration for this meal. I was at the grocery store around 5 pm trying to get groceries for tonight's meal (never a fun predicament to be in) when a saw the cooked rotisserie chicken calling my name. I really should cook with this chicken more often. They are reasonably priced, convenient as can be, super tasty and so versatile. I used most of the meat in this soup, and then made chicken salad out of the rest of it which will be great in tomorrow's lunch. As for the soup, it was a nice change of pace from the chicken wild rice and chicken dumpling soup I usually make. I love anytime I can cook with fresh ginger - I think it makes this soup. Asian Chicken Noodle Soup was warm and satisfying on this bitter cold day.

 

Asian Chicken Noodle Soup

1/2 tsp oil
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
2-3 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips 
1 bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger

2 c shredded, cooked chicken
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 c water
32 oz chicken stock
 
1 pkg ramen noodles*
1/2 c chopped green onions
cilantro (optional) for garnish

In a soup pot, heat oil, salt, pepper, carrots, bell pepper, garlic and ginger over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes. Add chicken, soy sauce, rice vinegar, water and chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Break ramen noodles in half and add to simmering pot. Add green onions and cook for 5 minutes more. Serve with additional green onions or cilantro for a garnish.
 
*I only used the noodles and threw away the seasoning packet but you could certainly add part of it to give the soup a stronger flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment