Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Homemade Granola

I have been playing around with homemade granola for the past couple of months and I think it will be a new staple in our household. Vaida loves the crunchy oats, nuts and dried fruit as an afternoon snack and I love pouring milk over a bowl of it for a hearty breakfast that really sticks with you. I have added flax seed and dried blueberries when I had them on hand. You could also add pumpkin seeds and any kind of nut that you like. When I was out of honey, I substituted real maple syrup which added great flavor.
I hope you enjoy this granola as much as we do!

Homemade Granola

4 c old-fashioned rolled oats
2 c shredded coconut (I like the large flakes)
2 c slivered raw almond (I use Trader Joe's brand)
3/4 c raw sunflower seeds
3/4 c vegetable oil or olive oil
1/2 c good honey
1 c dried cherries
1 c jumbo organic raisins
1 c dried cranberries
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Toss the oats, coconut, almonds, & sunflower seeds in a bowl. Whisk together oil & honey and pour over oat mixture. Stir until all the oats and nuts are coated. Pour on a half sheet pan and bake 45-55 minutes until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool granola and stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to pan. Add the dried fruit and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment