Thursday, February 11, 2010

Spiral Stromboli

So by now, I feel like I've shared most of the Vossen classics with all of you. If I wasn't blogging we would begin to rotate my past recipes through again as I'm sure many of you do in your kitchens. Since my goal is to inspire new kitchen ideas I am forced to go back to my lovely cookbook collection and pick out new material. Since I love looking at new recipes this is a fun chore for me. Tonight I had a short window of time to cook in so this Spiral Stromboli was a perfect recipe to try. It is part sandwich - part pizza and completely delicious. I loved the roasted red pepper and I think onion and olives would also be good in this. We dipped our stromboli in a heated marinara - yum!
Spiral Stromboli
(Adapted from Taste of Home, The Busy Family Cookbook)
1 tube refrigerated crusty French bread
3/4 c. mozzarella
3/4 c. cheddar cheese
1/4 lb. thinly sliced deli turkey
1/4 lb. thinly sliced deli ham
1/4 c. sliced roasted red peppers
1/4 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. parsley
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbs. olive oil
Carefully unroll bread dough on an ungreased baking sheet making a large rectangle. Leaving a 1/2" border around the sides of the dough, fill the dough with the cheese, topped with the meat and then the pepper and seasoning. Starting with a long side of the dough, roll up into a loaf and tuck the sides in as you go and pinch any seams together to seal the toppings in. Place the seam side down on your baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese (optional). Bake at 375 F for 30-35 minutes. Slice and serve with marinara sauce.
Printable Recipe

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is nice--terrific information and inspiration, and reader-friendly! I discovered you by accident: I study blogs for my job with a cooking software company and I'm so glad I found you. Without sounding like an infomercial, I wanted to tell you about their software recipe software that’s simplified my life a ton. FINALLY I can find what I need, when I need it, without having to scour through boatloads of recipes and books! (I’ve included the link in case you are interested.) Lastly, thanks so much for a great blog—I love your information and how reader-friendly your site is!

    ReplyDelete