Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Eve Eggnog


There is snow on the ground (with much more on the way!), Christmas music is playing throughout the house, the gifts are wrapped under our sparkling tree and all is well in the Vossen Kitchen. Thank you to those who have followed my adventures in the kitchen this holiday season. After my cookie marathon, I am ending my Christmas preparations with creamy homemade eggnog. I started making this about 12 years ago and I have continued to every Christmas Eve since. With a big batch of whipping cream and nutmeg involved you can't go wrong. I am excited because my co-worker brought me fresh eggs from his farm today so this eggnog is as fresh as it can possibly get. Because I am making the custard tonight, I will not have a finished product until tomorrow so my photo shows the beautiful fresh eggs I'm using. I want to wish everyone a wonderful Christmas - I will be back in the kitchen next week!
Christmas Eve Eggnog
Soft Custard
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup granulated sugar

Dash of salt
2 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Eggnog
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup light rum (optional)
Ground nutmeg
In 2-quart heavy saucepan, stir eggs, granulated sugar and salt until well mixed. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture just coats a metal spoon; remove from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Place saucepan in cold water until custard is cool. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours. Just before serving, in chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with electric mixer on high speed until stiff. Gently stir 1 cup of the whipped cream and rum, if using, into the cooled custard. Pour custard mixture into small punch bowl or large pitcher. Top with remaining whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve immediately. Store in refrigerator up to 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment