Sunday, March 21, 2010

Good Meatloaf

Meatloaf became popular during the depression as an economical meal to feed your family and it has remained an American staple ever since. I know every family has their own spin on this comfort food and everyone probably thinks their mom makes it the best. My mom uses oatmeal or crushed saltines in her recipe but I like using bread crumbs. The beauty of making this meal is really almost anything works. You can be creative with what you use to flavor this dish. I used to bake this in a loaf pan but I have switched to forming it into a log shaped with my hands on a sheet pan since it is easier to cut and serve. This meat loaf is full of flavor and just plain good.
Meatloaf
1 lb. ground beef
1/3 c. unseasoned bread crumbs
1/2 small onion, diced
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs. Heinz 57 sauce
salt/pepper
1 egg
1/4 c. ketchup (for topping)
Combine all ingredients (except ketchup) in a large bowl. Using your hands form mixture into a loaf and place on a baking sheet (or fill a loaf pan if you choose).Top with ketchup and bake at 375 F for 45-55 minutes.
Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment