Monday, February 11, 2013

Homemade Vanilla Pudding

I was rummaging through my cupboards last night trying to find a quick dessert but had little success. A Sunday night doesn't feel complete without a little sweet treat. Then I realized I had Reddi Whip in the fridge so pudding naturally popped into my head. Unfortunately I didn't have any Jello brand boxes on hand so homemade was my only option. I'm so glad this was the case: homemade pudding is in fact not that difficult or time consuming. (I was able to make it in the time it took Ryan to give Vaida a bath.) Next time I'm going to add cocoa to make chocolate pudding.

Homemade Pudding

1/3 c brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbls cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
2 c milk
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 Tbls butter
1 tsp vanilla

In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute.
In small bowl, stir about 1/3 of hot mixture into egg yolks. Stir yolk mixture into hot mixture; blend well. Cook until mixture bubbles, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool before serving.

Recipe from Betty Crocker

No comments:

Post a Comment