Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sweet and Sour Pork

I love sweet and sour pork. A friend gave me this recipe and this is the first time I tried to make it. Believe me, it was quite a disaster!! I started making this and then realized that I didn't have all of the ingredients...isn't that the worst?! I ran out of soy sauce so I had to improvise with Worcestershire. I couldn't find any pineapple in the pantry so I used a bit of frozen orange juice concentrate. Then, after adding the orange juice I finally found the pineapple. I made it with too many vegetables so I needed more sauce and ended up adding about 1/2 cup of prepared sweet and sour that I had in the fridge. Well, I am still sharing this recipe with you because somehow it all came together and we really liked it.
Sweet and Sour Pork
1.5 lb. pork, cubed
3/4 c. matchstick carrots
1/2 c. onion, diced
1 green pepper, cut in strips
3 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. dry sherry
3 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. oil
20 oz. can pineapple in juice
1 tsp. garlic
1/3 c. brown sugar
2 Tbs. Hoisin sauce
1/3 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. cherry tomatoes
sesame seeds
In a large wok, cook pork in a Tbs. of oil over medium-high heat until cooked through. Scoop pork out and set aside. Add another Tbs. of oil to the wok and add carrots and stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add green pepper and onion and continue to stir-fry until vegetables are cooked but not soft. In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, dry sherry, cornstarch, salt, pineapple juice, garlic, brown sugar, Hoisin sauce, and cider vinegar. Pour sauce over veggies in wok and add pork. Stir and cook until thickened. Add pineapple and cherry tomatoes right before serving. Top with sesame seeds and serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment